Thursday, November 26, 2009
On Who and What I am Thankful for as a Writer
In no particular order—
• Grub Street Writers, which has offered so many outstanding classes related to writing and publishing and allowed me to develop my craft.
• My bi-weekly writers’ group--Burns, Lisa, and Shellie, who have provided ongoing support and feedback, five pages at a time and have kept me moving along.
• My friends and family, especially Michael, Buki, and John, who have regularly read and critiqued large hunks of my work and have given me encouragement, love, and ideas.
• My Gina in the Floating World readers—Pippa, Susan, and Donna—who took the time to read an entire draft of my novel and pushed me along on the revision process.
• My teachers at Friends’ Central School, who taught me the fundamentals of how to write, oh so many years ago.
• Michael Neff for giving me an initial boost regarding the potential of “Gina” and then publishing my first short story in Del Sol Review.
• Jackie for being my partner in screenwriting and the adventures that shaped my second novel, as well as for her detailed critique.
• The Internet, for making it so easy to access information on any topic imaginable.
• All those interesting blogs by other writers that help me connect to a community of writers and feel reassured that others are going through what I am going through.
• Computers and word processing for allowing the words to flow more easily onto the page.
• Boston area for being such a rich resource for writers.
• My thesaurus (the book version) for expanding my vocabulary.
• Great writers and books for inspiring me.
• You, my friends and readers, for having faith in me!